Progress Report Week 17





This week I wanted to get a rough color blocking to help texturing the environments move more efficiently. I wanted to 'block out' the textures to have a focus on just color in terms of value, hue, saturation, brightness etc. Having this information locked down and decided on will also help lighting move forward more efficiently even if the textures aren't 100% done. The more complex objects are UVd and ready to get maps assigned efficiently. 
For color schemes I wanted to present multiple options for our team to talk about. I personally feel that the last one is working best but I wanted to share other options as well since color is so subjective and interpretive. 




I also did some textures of some of our smaller and simpler props and items. The office is more mature and serious so I didn't want anything too crazy popping out. I also wanted to add a hint of green in there because we are using that color as part of our color story with Harold's health getting worse. 





This week i also did some lighting! (Please don't mind the textures of the chess board and chess pieces, they are still in the making but will be ready for next time!) So for this shot, we see the process of David losing a chess game to his dad. He loses all his pieces, which you can see in the foreground. In the animatic, there wasn't an indication of lighting change, but there was an established idea that time was passing. Each character moves a piece at a different time of day. (David in daytime and Harold at night). I wanted to try some different options. In the third image, I thought we could go for daytime lighting and the montage would be like a camera taking a picture at the same time of day each time, recording the progression. Personally, I wanted to try some stylization to the lighting were we sort of split the screen into two tones. 
We would still have the warm daytime lighting that casts rays of light diagonally onto the board, and to illuminate and highlight all of David's lost chess pieces (an important aspect to show the audience that he is losing the chess game) could be lit with a cool toned lighting to help make it stand out in contrast. That is what the first two pictures are, with a cool toned blue and a warm toned blue. We have sort of the diagonal split on the screen. The last one is a push further for stabilization as that is something that our team wants to do with lighting so I made the color of the light a bit more saturated so that the color of the lighting is more clearly seen. 
I didn't know how well they'd work, but it's a simple shot animation wise that I felt would maybe be an opportunity to try new things lighting wise. Hearing feedback on this was very helpful for me, as I wasn't sure how people would feel about this

Comments